Click to view.
Click to view.

Building Bibliography

Record#
Building Name 1927 Hollywood Theater
Address 2820 Main St.

Building Construction & History

*Chronological from established to current

Date  
Property Owner Marius Lucy, Jr. and Felice West – son and daughter of Marius Lucy
Event The building which occupies more than 4 lots has had many occupants, but its first occupant is obvious to most people who see the building for the first time. There is no mistaking that the parapet that covers the balcony of a movie house built before multiplex cinemas became the norm. The low, one-story portion on the east is a little more difficult to decipher, but it had its first incarnation as an automobile showroom.

*Next event

Date 1926
Property Owner Joseph Genitempo and Antonio Emmite
Event They built and sold a completed movie theater and property

*Next event

Date 1927
Property Owner Hollywood Motion Picture Company
Event Ugo Martini manages it for a while

*Next event

Date 1933
Property Owner Tony Emmite and his brother Raymond
Event Tony Emmite and his brother Raymond bought the Hollywood Theater for $5,510. They also purchased the equipment from Martini. With this they began their operation of the Hollywood Theater which lasted through 1941. In 1941 they contracted with J.B. Hawthorne to build a theater across the street. By the advent of World War II, Dickinson had an air-conditioned movie house, also called Hollywood Theater.

*Next event

Date 1945
Property Owner E. Martin Belcher and E.G
Event In 1945, the Emmite brothers sold the whole parcel to E. Martin Belcher and E.G. Thomas for $8000 with the restriction that it could not be used as a movie theater for 25 years. That was not the use Belcher and Thomas had in mind and by 1947 they had constructed the one-story business and had installed Belcher Motor Company, selling and servicing Dodge cars. Belcher had moved out by 1958 when he leased all the property to Star Furniture Company. In 1962, Belcher sold the property to Shadowland, Inc. for $20,000.

*Next event

Date 1962
Property Owner Shadowland, Inc.
Event Belcher had moved out by 1958 when he leased all the property to Star Furniture Company. In 1962, Belcher sold the property to Shadowland, Inc. for $20,000. Less than a year later Shadowland conveyed Marvin and Frances G. Stein and Simon and Ida Goldhirsh. Star Furniture, either under lease to the new owners or under their ownership, continued to operate in the buildings until 1975. When owner Earl Henson purchased the property from the Steins and Goldhirshes.

*Next event

Date
Property Owner Jeff and Lisa Preston of Preston Holdings  
Event