Building Bibliography

Record#

 

Building Name

Schaper Home; Weigand Home; Ghost House; Cedar Oaks

Address

3822 Water Street, Dickinson, Texas 77539



Building Construction & History

*Chronological from established to current

Date

1896 – 1909

Property Owner

Mr. & Mrs. Henry J. Schaper, Jr.

Event

The Shaper’s bought 41 acres in 1896 and started building a two-story farm house which was finished in 1897 making it the second oldest home in Dickinson. The home was originally built for Mrs. Schaper, mother of Mrs. H. G. (Nina) Weigand.

*Next event

Date

1909 – 1914

Property Owner

Mr. Hugh Wickman (Wichmann sp?)

Event

No history seemed to be recorded during these years other than the sale of the property. It was either a summer home or gentleman’s farm. In the 1909 Census, Mr. Wichmann is documented as a Darier or Dairy man and Brewer who was of German descent

*Next event

Date

1914 – 1921

Property Owner

Mr. George & Bertha Angier

Event

The property was sold to Mr. George Angier in 1914 for the sum of $2,750.00. Records show that George C. Angier was born in Ohio in 1869 and lived with his widowed mother Lucie. George is shown as divorced and probably married Bertha between 1910 and 1914 when they bought the house. They sold the house in 1921,

*Next event

Date

1921 – 1963

Property Owner

Mr. H. J. & Nina Weigand

Event

Mr. Weigand was born in Germany in 1899 and came to the United States from Canada in 1916. He was 21 and single in January 1920 when he married Nina Rau Schaper and they bought the home for $1,300.00 allowing the house to full circle back to its original owner, Mrs. Schaper. Mr. Weigand worked for the Galveston H&H Railroad until just before he died in 1963, however, in 1922 he built dairy barns on the property and “Weigand’s Dairy” was founded. The dairy operated successfully until the 1950’s. His friend and neighbor, Mr. Borden, also attempted this same venture but was not successful. Mr. Borden returned East and founded “Borden’s Dairy Farms”. The Weigand Dairy was still in operation until the mid 50’s as neighbors remembered still driving the cows down the street. A small house was built behind the big house in 1937 by Mrs. Weigand’s stepbrother, Walter Schaper. It was built from salvage wood from the barricks that were built at a nearby Airbase known as Ellington Field.

*Next event

Date

1963-1970

Property Owner

Ms. Rosa Duff

Event

Mrs. Weigand died in 1963 and the house was willed to Rosa Duff, Mrs. Weigand’s sister. The house that stands far from the main highway, surrounded by big trees trailing moss, became a vacant house for eight or so years. Neglected and eventually vandalized, the old Weigand place became known as the local ghost house or the “Haunted House”. Older neighborhood children would dare or promise $1.00 to the younger children to go through the house. They would enter by crawling up through a collapsed fireplace in the living room. A ghostly green floating visitor has been reported in the old carriage house directly behind the main house.

*Next event

Date

1970 – 1971

Property Owner

Dr. L. E. Rosenblad – United Methodist Church

Event

The original property went all the way to the Bayou. Dr. Rosenblad purchased the house and 20 acres in 1970, more or less as an investment. Another portion of the original 41 acres on the northwest side was sold to the Methodist Church.

*Next event

Date

1971 -1979

Property Owner

Mr. O. P. Whittington

Event

In 1971 Mr. O. P. Whittington purchased the house and 5 acres around it and did most of the renovations to the house. The original dark woodwork – a mixture of oak, mahogany and cherry – was refinished but kept dark to frame the many window and wide doorways. The big living room fireplace was restored with the original bricks and wood, and the dining room includes the original built-in china cabinet and long window seat.

*Next event

Date

1979 – 1990

Property Owner

Mr. & Mrs. Doug McCann

Event

Doug and Nancy McCann bought the house along with the 5 acres and continued to restore it. They enclosed both porches of the house as well as the walkway between the house and the carriage house. They also added the carport and patio. When it was a milk farm, the carriages were stored downstairs in the carriage house and the hay upstairs. The old wooden pully used to lift the hay is still attached outside, but inside the hay loft is now two bedrooms, a bath and kitchen. Close by are three other smaller buildings – a one-story guest house, the old dair barn with an adjoining office-workshop and a separate horse barn.

*Next event

Date

1990 – 1995

Property Owner

Mr. & Mrs. Steve & Kelly Murray

Event

The Murray’s purchased the home and one acre from the McCanns in 1990. They restored the original wood floors and added a modern kitchen to the back of the house, turning the original kitchen into a den. They made a closet out of what was once a stocked food pantry. A notch 3 inch in diameter is in the wood where a heavy lock was once used on the door to protect the pantry from food thieves. This tells us a lot about those earlier days and what they considered their valued possessions.

*Next event

Date

1995 – to Present

Property Owner

Mr. & Mrs. Jeff and Tanya Nuss

Event

Jeff and Tanya Nuss bought the home and only the acreage it sat on, about one acre in 1995 and a year later purchased the acreage with the milking barn and small cottage, about 2 additional acres. The other barns and cottage were either not there or in ill repair. They continued to restore the house and convert it to a Bed and Breakfast. The cedars and oak trees trimmed in trailing moss that surrounds the house and yard, adds a romantic touch to the charm of this beautiful old home.

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event

 

*Next event

Date

 

Property Owner

 

Event